The popular PBS program inspires a look at the real history of domestic servitude in Connecticut.
As we suffer through the first storm of the season, here's an opportunity to look back on some memorable blizzards in Connecticut's history.
Connecticut history from a women's perspective is on display in this new exhibition at the Connecticut Historical Society.
While World War I dominated the news, in other world affairs, the Panama Canal was officially opened after a decade of work--and Babe Ruth made his debut with the Red Sox.
Celebrating the Origin of Santa and Three Centuries of Christmas at the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in Wethersfield.
The Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in Wethersfield has a knack for bringing history to life, and Christmas is a perfect time to exhibit its talents. The museum’s three period homes are currently decked in holiday splendor with doors open for tours through Jan. 6. According to Julie Winkel, part of the museum’s creative team headed by executive director Charles T. Lyle, this year’s holiday display was inspired by renowned artist Thomas Nast’s images of a “modern-day” friendly Santa who traveled by sleigh propelled by eight flying reindeer. “When Clement Moore penned the words, ‘Twas the night before Christmas…’ in 1822,' he could not have imagined the...
About This Blog
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- History (50)
- Update: Whaling Ship Morgan in Cape Cod for Last Major Stop of Historic Voyage | Comments
- Plans to Turn Wallace Stevens' House Into a Museum Have Fallen Through | Comments
- Ghost Tours at Mark Twain House in Hartford; Will Lady in White Appear? | Comments
- Repairs at Historic Canaan Railroad Depot on Track Again; Fire Hit in 2001 | Comments
- Yale Professor Writing Book on Discovering Roman Settlement in Egypt | Comments
- NW Connecticut History Center Is in Former Office of a Black Panthers Trial Attorney | Comments
- Ridgefield Mansion Where Houdini Practiced Escapes For Sale; Robert Vaughn Once Owned It | Comments
- 'Benedict Arnold' the Musical is Ready to Turn Heads | Comments
- Postcards from Connecticut's Past Released by Digital Public Library of America | Comments
- Whaling Ship Charles W. Morgan Arrives in Rhode Island; Historic Voyage’s First Leg | Comments