by Ray Bendici
May 10, 2013
11:11 AMUnsteady Habits
Connecticut Beer Week is May 11-18
VM Williams/NH Register
If you're celebrating this week, reach for a local brew, such as a blonde ale from Best of Connecticut winner Thomas Hooker Brewery.
"Beer is constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy," is attributed to Ben Franklin, and although Franklin was actually talking about wine when he wrote those comments, most of us can agree that the sentiment still applies for beer.
To that happy end, from May 11 to 18, brewers, wholesalers, retailers and restaurants across the state will be celebrating CT Beer Week with various events and activities, including bus tours, brew fests and sampling events.
According to a press release:
This weeklong, statewide event was created to celebrate the vibrant beer industry in Connecticut. The campaign’s message is simple: from breweries to restaurants, our industry produces fabulous products and contributes a significant amount to the local economy. So, when you’re making a choice, we ask you to choose to support local Connecticut companies.
• A brewery bus tour on May 11, starting at SBC Brewery in Southport and featuring the state's newest brewery, Shebeen Brewing.
• The Rising Pint Brewfest, also on May 11 from 1-5 p.m., at Rentschler Field in East Hartford.
• A press conference on May 14 at 11 a.m. at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford to launch the new "Brew & Buy Local" campaign to support local breweries and to announce the launch of a new smartphone app powered by Beerdog.com to support the Connecticut Beer Trail.
• An all-CT Craft Beer Sampler Special at Willimantic Brewing Company in Willimantic on May 16.
• The 19th annual CT Craft Brewers Festival at Jesse Camille's Restaurant in Naugatuck on May 18.
• A Trail Blazers' Beer Dinner at Beer'd Breweing in Stonington on May 18.
Sounds like there will be plenty of great opportunities for beer lovers and fans of Connecticut breweries this week. Of course, as always, please drink responsibly.
To get a full schedule of events and to purchase tickets, visit CTBeerTrail.net.