Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church will present its 39th annual ODYSSEY: A GREEK FESTIVAL Friday, August 30 through Monday September 2. This 4-day Labor Day weekend party features all things Greek, including mouthwatering cuisine, live music, dancing, and a bustling Hellenic agora (marketplace). Set on the grounds of the beautiful Byzantine-style Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, ODYSSEY offers something for everyone:
• Classic Greek cuisine – appetizers (meze), Greek pastries (glyka), lamb on the spit (souvla), moussaka, gyro, spanakopita (spinach pie) and pastitisio (Greek style lasagna)
• “Gourmet Meze Grille” – gourmet appetizers, including saganaki (flaming cheese), gyro platter, loukaniko sausage, grilled shrimp, avgolemono soup, dips and pitas, and more
• Live Greek cooking demonstrations – learn to prepare some classic Greek foods
• Greek marketplace – Gourmet Greek grocery, t-shirts, jewelry, arts & crafts, bookstore
• Treasures ’n Junque – Odyssey’s giant tag sale
• Presentations on Greek culture and religion, along with tours of Saint Barbara Church
• Greek dance performances –Traditional Greek folk dances performed by the ODYSSEY Dancers
• Greek dance lessons – taught by the ODYSSEY Dancers (8:45 pm, Sat and Sun)
• Nightly dancing to ODYSSEY’s live Greek band, “The Hellenic Company”
• Kids’ area – Rides, games, and magic shows.
• Raffle – Have a chance at winning the grand prize of $10,000 cash, or 9 additional prizes!
• Senior Citizens Day: Fri. 8/30, 12 to 3 pm – 20% senior citizen discount on snack bar and restaurant tent purchases
For 38 years ODYSSEY has delighted the senses with a feast of Greek cuisine, the thrill of Greek dance, the sounds of the bouzouki, and the ethnic flavor of the Agora (Marketplace). Stop by Saint Barbara’s ODYSSEY for Connecticut’s greatest “Greek Party,” a rain-or-shine Labor Day tradition!
Free parking on site and next door at Holy Infant Church. Additional free parking and continuous shuttle bus service between Church of the Good Shepherd (680 Racebrook Road), just one mile away.
- Starting Friday, August 30th, 2019, repeats every 3 days until Sunday, September 01, 2019 @ 12:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Occurs Monday, September 2nd, 2019 @ 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm